Let’s get back to basics and learn why yoga is beneficial for your mind and body…
“I slay in yoga”, they say…You must be wondering who and what are they killing in the yoga session, right? Girl, let me tell you: once you nail a yoga position you see on Pinterest (that kind that looks impossible) you will be screaming “I slayed it!” too.
Yoga goes far back (over 5000 years), and Iyengar (one of the greatest yogis in the world) took yoga to a whole new level when he even taught sirsasana (head stand) to Elisabeth, Queen of Belgium, when she was 80! He was a teacher whose complete devotion was to his art and the intense study of the emphasis on detail, precision and alignment in the performance of postures (asanas) and breath control (pranayama). Yoga’s discipline starts with the basics of Iyengar’s teaching of the development of strength, mobility and stability that is gained through the asanas. Let’s get back to basics and learn why yoga is beneficial for your mind and body.
BENEFITS OF YOGA FOR THE BODY
- Increased core strength- during all yoga poses you need to engage your core, which will help strengthen your muscles.
- Weight management- yoga is not just stretching, but can also make you sweat and burn calories.
- Improves circulation- yoga flow is one of the best ways to get your blood pumping and oxygen flowing. Just remember to breathe with every yoga movement.
- Relieves pain and tension- shoulder stands are probably one of the best examples of relieving any pain and tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Improves posture- yoga improves your body posture by engaging your core, straightening and lengthening the vertebra, opening the hip flexors and focusing on balance. Yoga also focuses on and facilitates correct breathing.
BENEFITS OF YOGA FOR THE MIND
- Increases mental awareness- yoga keeps you sane in the way that it relaxes your body and keeps you calm.
- Improves concentration- during a yoga session you need concentration to either hold a pose for as long as you can or to move your body in the right way.
- Neutralizes stress- when you had a hard day of work, all you need is to do a yoga session to forget about all the negativity and stress and just let go.
- Unlocks energy flow- lacking energy? Yoga is exactly what you need to release the inner energy you might keep locked up inside. Yoga flow sun salutation is the best way to get that energy flowing.
- Increases confidence- this is where slaying comes in. Yoga is a journey where you might fall on your face a few times before you nail that yoga pose, but once you conquer it, it might just give you the biggest satisfaction and confidence when you walk out of that yoga session.
The greatest benefit of yoga is that it makes you happy- get slaying girl!
by Kyli Brown